Monday, October 08, 2007

What Juliette is Learning in School

.
"Mommiy, come and see I'm drawing!" Juliette says to me. And then she shows me the picture.
Juliette is learning to color within the lines at school! She went a little bit outside the lines but still, she made a good effort.
I just wanted to say something. Haven't French teachers read Young at Art? Haven't they ever seen a copy of The Anti-Coloring Book? Why must they continue to follow this ancient style of forcing kids to paint or color pre-drawn pictures? It stifles creativity. It makes kids view art as something that is to be copied or mimicked or done for them, not something to be expressed. I am happy that she is learning at school but just hope that they will make art to view as fun and creative.
Again, one of the French moms clarified me. "This exercise is an essential first step for learning how to write in cursive, which they will begin at age five."Wow. Cursive writing at age five. I think I learned to write cursive when I was something like nine years old. Oh well, I just have to adjust to the French way.

No comments: